Roasted Baby Carrots
Many dogs love to munch on a raw carrot savoring their natural sweetness. Not the Kirbster! He will take it from my hand with his mouth and then immediately drop it showing no further interest. Carrots are such a healthy vegetable I wanted to find a way to entice him. I roast veggies in the oven and on the grill all the time so I thought it was worth a try. As the carrots roast, their natural sugars are released making them really sweet. Since we all know Kirby has a sweet tooth I was hoping this technique would work. And it did!
- 1 bag baby carrots
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
1. Cut any large carrots in half lengthwise and place all the carrots in bowl.
2. Add the olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Using your hand toss until the carrots are completely coated.
4. Spread out on a foil lined jelly roll pan or shallow baking dish.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes or until carrots are tender-crisp and lightly browned.
*Baby carrots are actually whole carrots peeled and cut down to size. If using regular baby carrots, leave the skin on but wash and slice remembering the pieces will shrink.
These are a great treat but can also be added to kibble for a scrumptious meal. And next time you fire up the grill throw some on in a foil pouch to roast!